Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Science and Maths in BM? Do We Really Care?

Today's headlines in the front page of The Star caught my eye as I was walking to class: Back to BM.

The article, next to the article about the late Micheal Jackson's memorial service, stated that the Government is going to teach maths and science in Bahasa Melayu starting from 2012. The main reason is that they feel that there is "a growing gap between the urban and rural schools."

Huh?
I thought the whole point of studying these two subjects in English was to prepare ourselves so that we are able to study other subjects well in English since, well, all the subjects in uni or colleges are in English. So why can't they send or train more Math and Science teachers which are really good in English to the rural areas?

Of course, the ministry will counter this problem by hiring more teachers, increase more time on English lessons, rehiring retirees etc etc. Wow, they do think of everything.

As I fumed over this news, I have a sudden thought: Do I really care if they change the teaching of Science and Math back to BM?

I wanted very much to say yes, but thinking deeper, I actually don't give a damn. (As long as they don't change the teaching in English in uni) You see, as a newly egoist follower by just a few minutes ago, would I go stand in the hot Malysian weather and protest the change? Would I campaign
to give these guys a break who studied these two subjects in BM for almost ten years just because they don't have any clue what is "anorexia" or "standard deviation"?

No, I won't.

You see, as the follower of egoism, as long as I am not affected by this decision, then it is fine. After all, I have studied Maths and Science in English about 6 years. Did learning Maths and Science in English helped me to achieve my current dismal level in English? I cannot deny that it did help me. But I am just a 19 year old Chinese girl, my opinions will not be taken seriously anyway. And guys, running a country is EXHAUSTING. So please give the Government a break. They are doing the best they can and they had to make hard decisions which will affect the country's future for better or for worse. Not all of us are psychics and predicted the tsunami that happened a few years ago or even Micheal Jackon's passing (Rest in Peace, MJ) We cannot see what will happen in the future.

So stop fretting about the whole thing and just enjoy life. Me? I'm going to read the article about the late King of Pop and finish up that Marketing assignment. In English of course.

XOXO
Megan.

No comments:

Post a Comment